Home » Online Exclusives (page 10)

Online Exclusives

Fringe Benefits FAQs

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU FILE IN 2015 BY KENDALL COLEMAN CST GROUP The IRS is known for cyclical “crackdowns”: periodically selecting a particular rule or regulation and strictly enforcing it for a few tax cycles in order to reset the bar. Over the past few years the IRS has applied a laser-focus to a number of issues ...

Read More »

False Claims Act: Pitfalls for the Small-Business Federal Contractor

BY JOSEPH L. HARDESTY AND ZACHARY D. JONES STITES & HARBISON PLLC The United States federal government is the world’s single largest purchaser of goods and services. Fortunately for small businesses, it makes a significant portion of its purchases exclusively from small and disadvantaged businesses through various programs. Businesses can qualify for one or more of these set-aside programs based ...

Read More »

Cloud Computing 101: How Can You Benefit from Migrating to the Cloud?

BY LEN WHITTEN A 2012 survey by JBKnowledge Technologies of 450 construction firms found that 30 percent do not use cloud computing. The other 70 percent use it on a limited basis with only 6.5 percent using cloud-based accounting apps. But interest in cloud migration grows. Sage Construction & Real Estate’s last two annual surveys found that the percentage of ...

Read More »

Heroes to Construction

Returning Veterans to Make a Great Resource in the Construction Industry BY RAUL GARCIA AND BRAD BENHART As the United States exits the recession and idle construction projects begin to have a pulse, the industry will soon be looking at a worker shortage at all levels: craft and management. This backlog of stalled projects, coupled with new developments, is going ...

Read More »

BIM it Here or BIM it There, but Must We BIM it Everywhere?

Is BIM right for your project?

HOW A BIM PROJECT EXECUTION PLAN CAN HELP YOUR TEAM UNDERSTAND WHEN, WHERE, WHY, AND HOW BY HEATHER KOSSILA AIA ASSOC., LEED® AP The day can’t start any better. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the price of gas dropped just as you pulled in to the station (yeah, right). Your company won a high-profile project, and ...

Read More »

Combating Summer’s Wild Weather

HOW CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES CAN PREPARE FOR HEAT, HUMIDITY AND HURRICANES BY KEVIN SMITH VICE PRESIDENT OF ONSHORE CORPORATE SERVICES IMPACTWEATHER – A STORMGEO COMPANY Autumn-like temperatures in the Midwest. Heat waves stifling the West Coast. Dangerous thunderstorms pounding the Eastern United States. These are just a few of the wild weather events that plague much of the country. Even though ...

Read More »

Manage the Environmental Construction Risks of Today

PARTNER WITH INSURERS WHO UNDERSTAND INDUSTRY NEEDS BY MITCH COHEN, PE ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT NEW DAY UNDERWRITING MANAGERS LLC Architect-engineer-contractor (AEC) professional liability insurance policies typically cover negligent wrongful acts, errors and/or omissions as long as the AEC is actually found negligent by a court of law for the wrongful or erroneous service provided to the client. However, it is ...

Read More »

Gray Power in the Construction Workforce

BY ALAN LAIBSON, EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT KIMMEL & ASSOCIATES Some companies decline to consider, or even interview, job applicants with resumes showing over 30 years of experience. This decision to pass over seasoned candidates is often driven by a stereotypical notion that senior workers are looking to cruise until retirement. This is a regrettable misconception. Candidates with many years of ...

Read More »

How Wood Products Reduce Construction’s Impact on the Environment

BY KENNETH BLAND VICE PRESIDENT, CODES & REGULATIONS AMERICAN WOOD COUNCIL Housing the world’s population of more than seven billion people, the construction industry today has grown to consume more of the earth’s resources than any other human activity.1 As such, there has been growing industry awareness to replenish the earth’s resources while reducing the carbon footprint of the built ...

Read More »

NDDOT Seeking Bids for Bridge Project Near Williston, ND

The North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) is planning to replace the Lewis & Clark Bridge located on US Highway 85 over the Missouri River near Williston, North Dakota. The Lewis & Clark Bridge will be replaced by a new 4-lane bridge to the west of the existing structure. The proposed bridge will be constructed 85 feet wide and 1,520 ...

Read More »